All in person workshops around the state have been postponed until the further notice. Please look for our virtual workshops and webinars starting in April.
AHS Jr. AREC Public Open House
August 14 @ 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Winchester, VA—The faculty, staff, and students at Virginia Tech’s Alson H. Smith, Jr. Agricultural Research and Extension Center and Virginia Cooperative Extension’s Frederick County Office will be hosting a public open house on August 14, 2021 from 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM. The Center’s scientists will provide an overview of their research projects and outreach efforts through hands-on activities, posters, and guided tours of the research vineyards and orchards. Some of the featured research includes:
– Biological management of brown marmorated stinkbug
– Smart crop thinning strategies for biennial-bearing apple varieties
– Novel disease management strategies for wine grapes
– Novel wine grape variety evaluations
– Reducing the risk of fungal resistance development to effective fungicides
– Reducing the risk of spring frost damage to fruit trees and grapevines
This is an open event—all are welcome! Come meet the scientists and staff who work at the Center. The open house will be held rain or shine. There will be indoor demonstrations and we will have tours of the farm.