All in person workshops around the state have been postponed until the further notice. Please look for our virtual workshops and webinars starting in April.
On-line Woodland Options for Landowners
March 2 - May 22
Events Calendar | Virginia Forest Landowner Education Program | Virginia Tech
- On-line in the comfort of your home
This 12-week, self-paced course will cover the basics of woodland management. Topics Covered Include:
- Setting management goals and objectives
- Writing a management plan
- Using aerial photos, topographic maps & soil surveys
- Determining boundary lines
- Forest ecology and management
- Working with natural resource professionals
Students completing all the advanced activities will finish the class with a draft forest management plan. Additionally, a group of mentors, consisting of natural resource professionals and experienced landowners, will interact with students weekly via discussion boards.
An optional end-of-semester field trip will allow students to hone their new skills and interact with one another and natural resource professionals. The 2020 field trip will be held at the Holiday Lake 4-H Educational Center in Appomattox on June 6.
Registration fee includes field trip, all on-line materials, and 3 books:
- Common Forest Trees of Virginia
- American Forests: A History of Resiliency and Recovery
- Plant Invaders of Mid-Atlantic Natural Areas
Register by mail
Contact Jennifer Gagnon, 540-231-6391, firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.